[nSLUG] SSD Failed, left with outdated /usr and /opt (before upgrade)

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 15:42:19 ADT 2014

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Joel Maxuel <j.maxuel at gmail.com> wrote:

> Glad things turned out so well for you, Joel.  It does suggest that it
>> might be a good idea to bring your "old folders up to date, in fact they
>> were abandoned directories", and perhaps get a current "amd64 CD" at your
>> earliest convenience.  At least I would -but then, I am running a release
>> of Ubuntu which is no longer in support, and have not upgraded to the next
>> LTS release yet, so I shouldn't preach...
>> Frank
>>

> I was looking at that last night actually.  Turns out my new /usr has
> bloated to 14GB and my old / has 14GB left.  /opt is in even worse state.
> So in order to back up my current /usr (/opt would be out of the question,
> but not necessary), I will have to blast away /usr-old first (as in, I
> cannot keep both old copies on root partition).
>
> I will be bringing home my faithful backup HDD tonight, where I will back
> up my /home (again) and will take care of /usr-old before making a new
> one.  I don't do a full disk backup because with dpkg set-selections and
> the /etc folder, I can get a new system up and running in a reasonable time
> while avoiding many problems inherited by the last setup (judging by the
> errors and warnings - mostly due to VMWare - on my bootup screen that I
> should really tend to).
>
> A new Debian CD will be in the works as well.  ;

It is pretty easy to make a bootable USB key.  They are easier to carry
around than a DVD and you can add your own metadata (e.g., notes on the
network configuration, scripts to install users with the right id and gid,
lists of the packages you normally install, etc.).

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia