[nSLUG] SSD Failed, left with outdated /usr and /opt (before upgrade)

Joel Maxuel j.maxuel at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 14:55:53 ADT 2014

> Glad things turned out so well for you, Joel.  It does suggest that it
> might be a good idea to bring your "old folders up to date, in fact they
> were abandoned directories", and perhaps get a current "amd64 CD" at your
> earliest convenience.  At least I would -but then, I am running a release
> of Ubuntu which is no longer in support, and have not upgraded to the next
> LTS release yet, so I shouldn't preach...
> Frank

I was looking at that last night actually.  Turns out my new /usr has
bloated to 14GB and my old / has 14GB left.  /opt is in even worse state.
So in order to back up my current /usr (/opt would be out of the question,
but not necessary), I will have to blast away /usr-old first (as in, I
cannot keep both old copies on root partition).

I will be bringing home my faithful backup HDD tonight, where I will back
up my /home (again) and will take care of /usr-old before making a new
one.  I don't do a full disk backup because with dpkg set-selections and
the /etc folder, I can get a new system up and running in a reasonable time
while avoiding many problems inherited by the last setup (judging by the
errors and warnings - mostly due to VMWare - on my bootup screen that I
should really tend to).

A new Debian CD will be in the works as well.  ;-)

--
Cheers,
Joel Maxuel

 - Ronan Harris / Mark Jackson