[nSLUG] Debian Wheezy partitioning...

Oliver Doepner odoepner at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 20:21:06 ADT 2014

- Ok, interesting that modern LVM2 overhead is low. Anyhow, I don't like
the added complexity (call me mentally lazy) if I don't absolutely need it.

- Corrupt sectors are probably a sign to replace the whole drive, and on a
single drive system like laptop that means a reinstall anyway. I use a file
server on the home network with automated backups to external disk (cron +
rsync) to protect more precious data.

- Regarding different filesystems: I use XFS for everything. I haven't
noticed any problems for big or small files.

- I like Debian and almost never install other distros. If I do I use a
Live CD first, but usually don't want it to access my /home. My experience
with other distros: Not enough momentum and developer base to be as solid
and well thought-out as Debian.

On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 12:57 AM, Dave Flogeras <dflogeras2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 10:16 PM, Oliver Doepner <odoepner at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I heard LVM has significant overhead and is too complicated for my taste.
>
> Perhaps in the early days of LVM.  I have not noticed any difference
> on any of my machines that have migrated to modern LVM2.  As far as I
> understand, even without it, the kernel does translations between
> user-space, drivers, and the block devices (just like it does between
> a process' virtual memory and the machine's physical memory).  LVM is
> just incorporated into this "table lookup" at the kernel level.  The
> CPU can manipulate a pointer far quicker than most storage systems can
> read a block of disk.
>
> I know a lot of people have written about slow performance while using
> snapshots.  I only let snapshots live for the duration of a backup,
> and for my uses some degradation is acceptable to get a consistent
> backup.  I think some people use snapshots as a way to trying out new
> software installations with the option to revert.  Their performance
> suffers until they merge or discard the snapshot.
>

> > Can anyone think of drawbacks of this single partition approach?
>
> Disadvantages might include:
> - A bad block causing filesystem corruption might lead to more damage
> - You cannot take advantage of different filesystem strengths for
> different types of data.  For instance, I use reiserfs for situations
> when I know I will have many many <4k files (development trees,
> Gentoo's package manager,  etc.).  I use ext4 when I will have lots of
> big files, or do processing on batches of large files (benchmarking
> showed a marked improvement).
> - With separate /home and/or other user data partitions, you can
> easily install a new distro without wiping the whole disk and copying
> your data around (although doing this without working backups is a bad
> idea in any situation).
>
> There are many good points on pro/con multiple partitions here, as
> usual there is no right answer; it depends on your own situation:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_partitioning
>

> Dave

Oliver Doepner
http://doepner.net/