[nSLUG] Debian Wheezy partitioning...

Dave Flogeras dflogeras2 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 00:57:18 ADT 2014

On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 10:16 PM, Oliver Doepner <odoepner at gmail.com> wrote:
> I heard LVM has significant overhead and is too complicated for my taste.

Perhaps in the early days of LVM.  I have not noticed any difference
on any of my machines that have migrated to modern LVM2.  As far as I
understand, even without it, the kernel does translations between
user-space, drivers, and the block devices (just like it does between
a process' virtual memory and the machine's physical memory).  LVM is
just incorporated into this "table lookup" at the kernel level.  The
CPU can manipulate a pointer far quicker than most storage systems can
read a block of disk.

I know a lot of people have written about slow performance while using
snapshots.  I only let snapshots live for the duration of a backup,
and for my uses some degradation is acceptable to get a consistent
backup.  I think some people use snapshots as a way to trying out new
software installations with the option to revert.  Their performance
suffers until they merge or discard the snapshot.

> Can anyone think of drawbacks of this single partition approach?

Disadvantages might include:
- A bad block causing filesystem corruption might lead to more damage
- You cannot take advantage of different filesystem strengths for
different types of data.  For instance, I use reiserfs for situations
when I know I will have many many <4k files (development trees,
Gentoo's package manager,  etc.).  I use ext4 when I will have lots of
big files, or do processing on batches of large files (benchmarking
showed a marked improvement).
- With separate /home and/or other user data partitions, you can
easily install a new distro without wiping the whole disk and copying
your data around (although doing this without working backups is a bad
idea in any situation).

There are many good points on pro/con multiple partitions here, as
usual there is no right answer; it depends on your own situation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_partitioning

Dave