[nSLUG] Find and replace command

Oliver Doepner odoepner at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 23:46:09 ADT 2014

I use Windows 7 for a couple of things:
- Watch Flash stuff on sites that don't work on the discontinued flash
player for linux
- Kindle reader to download amazon purchased ebooks (to convert them to
epub using calibre)
- Use phonerlite to make sipgate phone calls
- Generally use my builtin mic (can't get it work on Wheezy)
- Fill out Adobe PDF forms that Evince cannot handle
- Run the odd Windows only program
- Remote desktop into work VMs (via a crappy SSL VPN that only works in IE)

On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 11:22 PM, Adam MacKinnon <adam at sogo.ca> wrote:

> Instead of specifying the file mask, you can specify a command (recursive
> grep should work):
> $ perl -pi -e 's/<body background=.*?>/<body>/' `grep -irl "<body
> background=" *`
>
> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 10:39 PM, Trina Conrad <trina.hanson79 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello Oliver,
>>
>> You are correct in your assumptions.  I ran your suggestion and it worked
>> like a charm.  Thank you so very much. :)
>>
>> Trina
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 10:36 PM, Oliver Doepner <odoepner at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Assuming you have only one opening body tag in your html files and you
>>> want to get rid of all the body tag attributes and your html files all have
>>> .html extension :
>>>
>>> find -iname '*.html' -print -exec sed -i 's/<body[^>]*>/<body>/' {} \;
>>>
>>> The -print is so that you see the paths of the files being processed.

> --
> Thanks
>
> -Adam

Oliver Doepner