[nSLUG] Debian Wheezy partitioning...

Oliver Doepner odoepner at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 22:16:08 ADT 2014

I usually keep it simple and just use a single root partition. If you use a
swap file instead of a swap partition, you can literally get away with just
a single partition. I don't dualboot, but rather use VMs on Linux host
system, so no separate partition for Windows either.

For backups I would simply use an external disk (usb or esata) and rsync.
The advantage of rsync is the incremental nature. I use it with a flag to
not ever delete anything. I backup only /home, /usr/local and /etc. The
system itself (/usr, /var and so on) is basically defined by the list of
leaf packages which I generate using debfoster ("keepers" list).

I heard LVM has significant overhead and is too complicated for my taste.
At least for a single user laptop or desktop I don't quite see the point.

Can anyone think of drawbacks of this single partition approach?

Oliver Doepner
http://doepner.net/