[nSLUG] Debian Wheezy partitioning...

Frank Geitzler frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca
Thu Oct 2 12:54:51 ADT 2014

Stephen, I can't speak as an expert, but I can mention some things which
have worked for me.  First, I recommend that you have a stand-alone
backup drive.  I run ubuntu/windows7 on a laptop I bought about three
years ago, and when I purchased the laptop Staples had a 500Gb Seagate
drive which I purchased for an additional $75.
    I partitioned my ubuntu dual-boot with a separate /home partition,
with greatly-appreciated assistance from a fellow NSLUG member.  If you
are spending a lot of time developing, I am sure you want to want to
protect your investment in case something happens to your laptop disk
drive, or to the entire laptop, so I recommend you back up your home
partition frequently.
    Whenever I do a major update or upgrade, I simply connect the
external drive via USB, create a new sub-directory for the new backup
(deleting the oldest backup, if I am running low on space), CD
(change-directory) to the new backup directory on the external drive,
and then open a terminal window, obtain administrative authority with
sudo, and copy the entire home directory to the newly created backup
directory on the standalone drive with a command similar to the
following:
    'cp home "/media/Expansion
Drive/laptop_bkp/Laptop_Home_Folder_Backup_September_01_2014/home" -a -p
-r -v'
I know that is verbose, but I keep a text log of backups and
installations, and can do a 'cut-and-paste' to copy the command from the
text log to the terminal window, and then make minor changes to the name
of the new backup before pressing <Enter>.
    Additionally, I suggest that you encrypt your home partition, since
laptops can be stolen (and hard drives do die), and you probably have
sensitive information there.  If you do encrypt the partition, I
recommend that you keep an external record of the encryption key -I
encryped my home partition, but I didn't record the key, and have been
very concerned every time I do an update, in case my home directory does
somehow become unrecoverable.  I don't know if simply restoring the
backup completely to a new computer would work -but I do hope so.
Frank