[nSLUG] Troubleshooting LCP & PAP on a Telus dialup NAS

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Tue Nov 25 17:13:15 AST 2014

This is only On-Topic to the extent that I couldn't be asking the
question if I weren't using Linux.

Can anyone here:

   + give me the email address of a network admin at Ca.Inter.Net or

   + give me the email address of a network admin at Telus  or

   + offer an opinion more substantial than a surmise on the problem
     outlined in boring detail below?

Dialup service from Ca.Inter.Net has been down for over 3 weeks and
they seem unable to fix it. I need either to talk to a technically
adept person or be able pass on to support in email how to fix their
system. (I've done the latter done once before but the person with
whom I then exchanged email is no longer there.)

- Mike

--- Boring detail ---

I have dialup net access from Ca.Inter.Net.

A call to 902-527-1300 (the correct and long-established number) is
answered by a NAS that declares itself to belong to Telus.

My PPP client and the NAS execute the LCP negotiation and agree on PAP
authentication.

My PPP sends my PAP credentials, the NAS responds with AuthNak and drops
the connection.  Here's a sample log:

    Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0

    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x20a0000> <magic 0x4470945f>
         <pcomp> <accomp>]

    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 < 00 04 00 00> <mru 1524> <asyncmap 0xa0000>
         [MAC:00:c0:7b:8c:24:6e]> < 17 04 fc 03>]

    sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x1 < 00 04 00 00> <mrru 1524> < 17 04 fc 03>]

    rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x20a0000> <magic 0x4470945f>
         <pcomp> <accomp>]

    sent [LCP EchoReq id=0x0 magic=0x4470945f]

    sent [PAP AuthReq id=0x1 user="mspencer1 at ca.inter.net" password=<hidden>]

    rcvd [LCP EchoRep id=0x0 magic=0x0]
    rcvd [PAP AuthNak id=0x1 ""]
    PAP authentication failed
    sent [LCP TermReq id=0x2 "Failed to authenticate ourselves to peer"]
    rcvd [LCP TermAck id=0x2]
    Connection terminated.
    Exit.

Before this failure, dynamic IP addresses in the 137.186.22.0/24 block
were assigned on successful authentication.  At present, addresses in
that /24 aren't pingable and the last hop reply comes from Telus host
154.11.184.162 (no RDNS and, oddly, part of an /8 assigned to AFRICNIC
and then reassigned back to ARIN and Telus.)  I don't know if this
host is itself the NAS or not.

The Authentication, Authorization, and Accounting (AAA) implementation
on the NAS fails.  I have no way of determining whether:

  + Authentication fails locally on the Telus NAS, or

  + the Telus NAS is unable to communicate with a ca.inter.net
    authentication server, or

  + a ca.inter.net authentication server is misconfigured or
    otherwise broken, or

  + the ca.inter.net authentication database is corrupted.

I can retrieve email for two addresses from the ca.inter.net mail
server but that's no evidence of anything because the email passwords
are different from the login/authentication password.

Anyone here have admin experiences that would indicate a likely
direction that I could investigate or a promising clue which I could
pass on to ca.inter.net support?  Or the name of a mole inside either
company, an actual human that knows how stuff works?

                                                           /V\