[nSLUG] Switched to Fibreop, telnet backdoor on Bell router

Robert McKay robert at mckay.com
Tue Nov 18 13:33:48 AST 2014

On 2014-11-18 13:53, D G Teed wrote:
> The firewall on the Actiontec is OK, but not very flexible for
> dyndns users.  There doesnt seem to be a way to reproduce
> the Postrouting I had before with Linux so my dyndns domain
> works from inside the house.  I can see where replacing the

I haven't tried this with Bell/Aliant but one option might be for you
to put the Actiontec into transparent bridging mode and then drive the
PPPoE from another router or server where you want the public IP to be
located. This basically turns the actiontec into a dumb media converter
and it won't get to interfere with anything anymore.

If the ationtec doesn't support jumbo ethernet frames you will have a
slightly reduced MTU due to the extra framing.. this can be mitigated by
using tcp mss clamping. On the plus side you can host the public IP on
your mail server or wherever it was previously located when you used
eastlink.

Rob