[nSLUG] Removing spaces from file names - note, long lines

Oliver Doepner odoepner at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 11:21:04 AST 2014

I have to qualify what I meant regarding "localized file names":

I meant any kind of auto-magic transcoding or even auto-translation (using
locale dependent resource bundles) of file names based on the current users
locale. That would be a nightmare in so many ways.

What can make sense however is to allow the users to name files using
characters from their locale's default charset. And that is already
implemented in all Linux filesystems that I know of (maybe with some
limitations for older reverse-engineered ones).

But even with non-ASCII file names I would be very cautious.
For easy exchange and robustness, I would stick to ASCII only filenames.
And always use UTF-8 locales.

--
Oliver Doepner
Software Engineer