[nSLUG] nSLUG Meeting on Monday

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Fri May 30 06:54:47 ADT 2014

On 29/05/14 09:29 AM, odoepner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone have an update on whether the meeting will happen, who will
> present and about what topic?

It is. Rather than a lecture-style talk, I would like to lead a BoF*
talk. My topic:

    Social FOSS self-tracking

Some suggested links (feel free to collect/share more!)

    - http://thegovlab.org/personal-data-for-the-public-good/
    - http://www.openyou.org/
    - http://www.openstreetmap.org/

The idea here is that personal improvement by open source software (not
just for Linux, but also Android and other platforms) allows us to set
our own goals, track them, and help each other in their own tracking
regimes by sharing our data and observations with friends online.
Unfortunately, the popular software that fills this niche today seems to
work by submitting your data to a web site with a (sadly, fairly
standard) privacy policy that both provides no guarantee as to the
privacy of your data, and also claims ownership of the data you submit.
On and off for months I've had some ideas to address this on the back
burner, and recently I've started doing some tracking of my own with a
non-free app using this kind of website. I'd like to stimulate
discussion about how we, as a LUG, could help improve things in this
area, whether it is by raising awareness of and lending our support to
existing projects, or coming up with something on our own.

Ben
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birds_of_a_feather_(computing)