[nSLUG] Re: Frame buffer console(s) won't go away

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Wed May 28 02:24:02 ADT 2014

me> I can't make the frame buffer console(s) *go away*. Old guy, y'know?
me> Tiny text is the pits. [So how do I do that?]

Baha Baydar <bbaydar at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you want a text console you have to specify one of the text
> modes. 80x 25 should be "vga = 3840".

I finally hit (advice from alt.os.linux.slackware) adding
"video=640x480" to my lilo.conf append line.  I'll try your suggestion
yet, just to see how it works, but I'm okay.

It was all PITA getting Slackware 14.1 up.  I couldn't get system
stuff, X stuff and Emacs stuff sorted.  Emacs 24 has many annoying
features which I don't know how to disable. Can't tell if X is messed
up or if Emacs is.

Revert Emacs to 20.7 that I've been using all along.

Now I can determine that there are errors in my .Xmodmap because X
sees different keycodes for given physical keys on the laptop and
in addition parsing of .Xmodmap seems to be pickier. Fixed that with
help of xev and the net.

Fixed my keymap.map.

*Then* I could see what was what and the "video-640x480" had the
desired effect. Consoles are readable.  setfont <font-name> in
~/.login also made for readable console under fb although none of the
fonts I tried were very pleasing.

Now I need to determine how many packages from "install everything
except KDE" I can dump to make a little more HD space. Or maybe get a
bigger HD. Because NetworkManager's user app, nm-applet says:

       nm-applet conforms to the XDG System Tray specification and
       requires that the desktop environment provide a System Tray
       implementation in which the applet will be embedded.

only I don't use KDE so I don't have a "system tray".  Feh.  Is this
the coming thing?  "Our code only runs if you use a cute desktop
environment"?

So I have to dump that and try wicd which worked for me on the first
try when my son, a Linux newbie, asked me to get wireless working on
his Linux laptop.

Just a belated tnx for the pointer and update on a task that should be
exciting but is becoming tedious [1],

- Mike

[1] But I'm learning a bunch of new (to me) stuff, albeit with a
    certain degree of learning the same stuff over and over.  :-\

                                                           /V\