[nSLUG] Re: Identifying I/O ports in use or associated with devs

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Tue Mar 18 00:36:21 ADT 2014

Dave Flogeras wrote:

> If you cat /proc/ioports it will list what port ranges are being
> used by what subsystems (in most cases you'll be able to figure out
> which module this means).

Ah. Right you are. Typically, when I think of groveling around in
/proc for a answer, I find stuff I don't understand. When I don't
think of it, of course, useful stuff is there at a hand.

And now I see that dmesg has some clues, too. Overlooked because my
main box doesn't have the parport module running.  The mouse-watcher
box does, though.

Accumulating a few clues...

As an aside: I did "cat /dev/port > foo" on my Slack 11 ker. 2.4 box
and got a binary file which, when hexlified, appears to have
meaningful info.  Did the same on Slack 12.1, ker. 2.6 and locked up
the system completely.  Huh?

Thanks for the pointer,
- Mike

                                                           /V\