[nSLUG] BB Q5 as Modem on Linux?

Ed Fletcher ed at fletcher.ca
Sat Mar 8 18:26:59 AST 2014

On 08/03/2014 2:21 PM, Daniel AJ Sokolov wrote:
> On 2014-03-08 10:31 wrote Norm:
>> I didn't see anything on USB tethering when I looked into it, but if you
>> have access to wireless networking on the Linux box the q5 supports
>> mobile hotspot.
>
> Thank you, but WiFi is not what I'm going for. I need this to work in an
> environment where WiFi is a) not allowed or b) completely overloaded
> with dozens of WiFi-Hotspots in the same room.
>
> c) I need to be able to use the phone to pick up a WiFi signal and
> tether that through USB into my laptop. This has saved me at times.
>
> BR
> Daniel AJ

You can use the Blackberry Desktop software in Windows for tethering.
Which leads me to believe that it must be possible under Linux.  This is
from 2009 but it shows that it's been done:

http://www.blackberrycool.com/2009/01/07/how-to-tether-your-linux-notebook-to-your-blackberry/

Although Blackberry and Linux often make a problematic combination due
to the closed source nature of RIM.

Ed
--
Ed Fletcher

"If you are not paying for it, you're not the
customer; you're the product being sold."
-- Andrew Lewis, August 26, 2010