[nSLUG] Eastlink DHCP oddness

Douglas Guptill dguptill at accesswave.ca
Fri Mar 7 10:10:43 AST 2014

Hello Julien:

On Fri, Mar 07, 2014 at 08:10:11AM -0400, Julien Savoie wrote:

> I would like to get some feedback on some oddness I'm seeing with DHCP
> from Eastlink.  I've tried contacting Eastlink but haven't gotten a
> useful reply, and I was wondering if other users had run into this.
...<snip>...
> It would appear Eastlink has moved to exceptionally short dhcp lease times.
>
> lease {
>   interface "eth0";
>   option dhcp-lease-time 3600;
>   option dhcp-renewal-time 1711;
>   option dhcp-rebinding-time 3150;

In Dartmouth, I get these numbers

  option dhcp-lease-time 86400;
  option dhcp-renewal-time 43901;
  option dhcp-rebinding-time 75600;

> As well I'm seeing this:
>
> Mar  2 08:59:54 thunder dhclient: parse_option_buffer: malformed option
> dhcp.<unknown> (code 116): option length exceeds option buffer length.

I get these frequently, maybe once a day:

  Dec 27 10:08:40 blackscram dhclient: suspect value in ^1/B15BF059/ option - discarded
  Dec 27 10:08:40 blackscram dhclient: suspect value in ^1/B15BF059/ option - discarded

I hope that helps,
Douglas.
--
Bold character derived from stubborn patience and adversity.