[nSLUG] Re: perl and web sites

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Sun Mar 2 02:08:59 AST 2014

Robin Murray <nibor.yarrum at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been looking into on-boarding a tech partner who is in love
> with rails. His first reaction was to recommend converting the web
> site to rails, partly due to his perception that perl is a legacy
> language....

I'm not even slightly qualified to address the technical aspect as
others have done.

But if the decision on a technical basis turns into a conumdrum,
there's the social tell: "legacy" is often a buzzword that means
soemthing like "I don't want to be bothered with that." It always
blips my bogometer. The twenty-something hardware store guy replied to
my request for surface-mount light switches by characterizing them as
"legacy" tech. Of course, *all* walls in the 21st c. are gyproc over
studs, eh?

Be aware, however, that this observation comes from a guy who buys a
few new tools every year but in whose the shop the *average* age of a
tool is probably about 90 years. :-)

FWIW,
- Mike

                                                           /V\