[nSLUG] Frame buffer console(s) won't go away

Chris R. Thompson chris.thompson at solutioninc.com
Mon Jun 9 10:55:59 ADT 2014

So, You haven't tried it Ben?

On 06/09/2014 10:32 AM, Ben Armstrong wrote:

	On 09/06/14 08:36 AM, Chris R. Thompson wrote:
	> Out of curiosity all this speak of minimal gets me thinking... Anyone thought to try out crunchbang?
	>
	> http://crunchbang.org/

	Or you could just run Debian and tailor it to suit your needs ...

	> On Jun 8, 2014 11:26 AM, Joel Maxuel <j.maxuel at gmail.com> <mailto:j.maxuel at gmail.com>  wrote:
	>
	> [1] I used LXDE for about a week between KDE and Xfce.  Although the
	> dealbreaker it seemed (and this may have something to do with all the GNOME
	> nastiness that was still lurking on my PC) was there was no simple way
	> (apparent to me) to mount a removable (in my case via USB) volume.  That
	> was my decision to stick with a DE over a WM.

	Joel, you don't need a DE for that. Just run udisks-glue. That being
	said, pcmanfm should handle USB automounting just fine (though it may be
	that it fails in certain corner cases? ntfs automounting with older
	pcmanfm version from Wheezy perhaps?)

	My "minimal" Debian desktop on an EeePC model 1001px with RAM maxed out
	at 2G (This changes month to month to adapt to my needs & tastes):

	- Debian sid
	- eeepc-acpi-scripts (handle eeepc hotkeys)
	- lxde
	- minus xscreensaver (no need for it at home; justs wastes power; just
	disable in config)
	- minus pcmanfm (no need for this except in rare circumstances; just
	disable in config)
	- udisks-glue (automount removable volumes)
	- network-manager-gnome (best wireless manager I know of; don't let the
	'gnome' suffix lead you to believe it drags in bloat -- it doesn't,
	really, provided you install without recommends)
	- xfce4-volumed (passive bubble volume control indicator)
	- chromium
	- icedove

	The last two are rather fat. However, considering these two are the most
	heavily used apps on this system (aside from lxterminal), it's a
	compromise I'm willing to live with.

	So, essentially, the bits of LXDE I *do* regularly use are:

	- lightdm (not really a part of LXDE, but is the default dm)
	- lxsession
	- lxpanel
	- openbox
	- lxterminal

	As you can see, this is little more than a session manager + WM.

	Ben

Christopher Thompson | Client Care | SolutionInc Limited
Office: +1.902.420-0077 | Fax: +1.902.420.0233

Email: chris.thompson at solutioninc.com
Website: www.solutioninc.com <http://www.solutioninc.com/>

SolutionInc Limited - Simplifying Internet Access

SolutionInc Limited - Simplifying Internet Access With operations in more than 45 countries worldwide, SolutionInc is an established global leader in
Internet, centralized hotspot connectivity, billing and management solutions. SolutionInc provides software and services to the hospitality and
telecommunications industries through its award-winning, patented technology software products: SolutionIP(tm) and SolutionIP(tm) Enterprise.
Through 700,000+ touch points, SolutionIP(tm) allows people to easily and securely connect to the Internet from locations such as hotel rooms, convention
 centres, universities, restaurants and airports. Patent Information <http://www.solutioninc.com/patents/>

If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify me immediately at 902 420 0077 or reply by e-mail to the sender and destroy the original communication.

 Thank you.