[nSLUG] Frame buffer console(s) won't go away

Chris R. Thompson chris.thompson at solutioninc.com
Mon Jun 9 08:36:00 ADT 2014

Out of curiosity all this speak of minimal gets me thinking... Anyone thought to try out crunchbang?

http://crunchbang.org/

Christopher

On Jun 8, 2014 11:26 AM, Joel Maxuel <j.maxuel at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Just guessing here, y'all are having trouble imagining how bare-bones
> > twm is compared> Just guessing here, y'all are having trouble imagining how bare-bones
> twm is compared to the typical WM or DE.

No trouble at all.  I have encountered twm before, on a fresh install of
Debian 2.2.  Although, within five minutes I was back in WindowMaker (at
the time I probably thought WindowMaker was just a prettier extension to
twm), firing up an xterm to download KDE 2.x (exaggerating a little).

I like a certain amount of bells and whistles, but that has it's limits.
The reason why I use Xfce now [1] is because I could not stand KDE version
4.x.  Although, about a year ago I enabled Compiz so I could have a
semi-transparent Terminator window (something I missed from the KDE days).

[1] I used LXDE for about a week between KDE and Xfce.  Although the
dealbreaker it seemed (and this may have something to do with all the GNOME
nastiness that was still lurking on my PC) was there was no simple way
(apparent to me) to mount a removable (in my case via USB) volume.  That
was my decision to stick with a DE over a WM.

--
Cheers,
Joel Maxuel

 - Ronan Harris / Mark Jackson