[nSLUG] Data sharing BOF

Vlado Keselj vlado at dnlp.ca
Fri Jun 6 09:12:21 ADT 2014

On Fri, 6 Jun 2014, Mike Spencer wrote:

> How'd your BoF meet on data sharing go, Ben?  Anybody take notes and
> do a summary of thoughts?

I took a few, very terse notes:

---

Notes from NSLUG meeting 2014-06-02

Distributed before the meeting:

    Social FOSS self-tracking

Some suggested links (feel free to collect/share more!)

    - http://thegovlab.org/personal-data-for-the-public-good/
    - http://www.openyou.org/
    - http://www.openstreetmap.org/

The idea here is that personal improvement by open source software (not
just for Linux, but also Android and other platforms) allows us to set
our own goals, track them, and help each other in their own tracking
regimes by sharing our data and observations with friends online.
Unfortunately, the popular software that fills this niche today seems to
work by submitting your data to a web site with a (sadly, fairly
standard) privacy policy that both provides no guarantee as to the
privacy of your data, and also claims ownership of the data you submit.
On and off for months I've had some ideas to address this on the back
burner, and recently I've started doing some tracking of my own with a
non-free app using this kind of website. I'd like to stimulate
discussion about how we, as a LUG, could help improve things in this
area, whether it is by raising awareness of and lending our support to
existing projects, or coming up with something on our own.

Ben
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birds_of_a_feather_(computing)

---

Notes from the meeting:

pump.ip - federated social networking protocol
http://pump.io/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pump.io

http://www.openstreetmap.org/

https://diasporafoundation.org/
Decentralized Social Network

http://www.cyanogenmod.org/
Free Distribution of Android

https://f-droid.org/
FOSS Applications for Android

https://code.google.com/p/osmtracker-android/
OSM tracker (GPX format)

FreedomBase
??

http://www.webrtc.org/
WebRTC HTML5 based real-time communcations (like Skype)

http://www.openyou.org/
Open source development on health hardware

http://runkeeper.com/
RunKeeper

http://quantifiedself.com/

---