[nSLUG] why slackxx.x instead of debian (Was: Frame buffer...)

Chris R. Thompson chris.thompson at solutioninc.com
Thu Jun 5 10:44:17 ADT 2014

Mike,

I just read and noted you had a problem with wicd?

hope you got it all sorted, you needed to add the right user in order for it to proceed? or could you provide me the direct link to your update from:
"
PS: The problem with the wireless dongle is solved with wicd(8). See
    recent alt.os.linux.slackware posts for details. Something I
    didn't understand and now do, something I still don't understand
    but it works, several new things learned in passing."

On 06/05/2014 01:30 AM, Mike Spencer wrote:

	Hi Douglas --

	> Pardon my intrusion...

	Not an intrusion.

	> ... but why slackxx.x instead of debian withOUT gnome, but with
	> (something simple like) icewm and filerunner?

	Well, see, way back in school, my (then) girlfriend gave me a nice
	little cufflink box from a good jeweler for Christmas.  Inside were
	two 3/8" black machine bolts with nuts. [1]  An I *still* often take my
	toys apart before I play with them.  (And yes, by 'n bye she gave
	the  monogrammed sterling cufflinks, too. :-)

	I use twm and do almost everything in X. (Now excepting
	wicd-curses(8)).  No argument: a windowing environment is way, way
	ahead of consoles.  I do mail (send and receive), Usenet news and file
	management in Emacs.  Most Command-line shell stuff also in Emacs, in
	a shell buffer. Anything that needs a smart terminal (top, less) I do
	in an xterm.

	I do use a GUI browser, sound mixer and image viewer and, occasionally
	Gimp (which is *very* GUI, of course.)  Otherwise, I avoid GUI
	versions of anything that I can do easily from a command line,
	e.g. MPlayer for video and some music.  In general, configuring
	everything via text files suits me.

	I see that Icewm has an optional system tray. That might be an choice
	if the trend to making the tray mandatory for X apps increases.  But a
	quick google finds a whole slough of "themes" for Icewm, which leads
	me to expect excesses of eye candy and GUI.

	I gather that Debian has a nifty package-fetching utility that also
	takes care of dependencies.  I have occasionally groveled through
	dependency hell to get something running but, aside from dependency
	problems, I'm easy with compiling most stuff from source. And I think
	Slackware is working on a package-fetcher, too, although I haven't
	investigated it.

	I've learned as a Unix user since X was still X10 without having to
	deal with eye candy and learn new graphical "features".  In fact,
	every distro version upgrade, I spend hours disabling, suppressing or
	working around a host of new and annoying user-interface features.

	Well, you asked. ;-)

	Next up: how do I do DHCP?  But I have some reading to do before I
	actually ask that of the list.

	- Mike

	PS: The problem with the wireless dongle is solved with wicd(8). See
	    recent alt.os.linux.slackware posts for details. Something I
	    didn't understand and now do, something I still don't understand
	    but it works, several new things learned in passing.

	[1] Never used them -- too big.  They should have been 3/16" machine
	    bolts.  She wasn't mechanically inclined. ;-) And yes, by 'n bye
	    she gave the monogrammed sterling cufflinks, too.

	                                                           /V\

Christopher Thompson | Client Care | SolutionInc Limited
Office: +1.902.420-0077 | Fax: +1.902.420.0233

Email: chris.thompson at solutioninc.com
Website: www.solutioninc.com <http://www.solutioninc.com/>

SolutionInc Limited - Simplifying Internet Access

SolutionInc Limited - Simplifying Internet Access With operations in more than 45 countries worldwide, SolutionInc is an established global leader in
Internet, centralized hotspot connectivity, billing and management solutions. SolutionInc provides software and services to the hospitality and
telecommunications industries through its award-winning, patented technology software products: SolutionIP(tm) and SolutionIP(tm) Enterprise.
Through 700,000+ touch points, SolutionIP(tm) allows people to easily and securely connect to the Internet from locations such as hotel rooms, convention
 centres, universities, restaurants and airports. Patent Information <http://www.solutioninc.com/patents/>

If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify me immediately at 902 420 0077 or reply by e-mail to the sender and destroy the original communication.

 Thank you.