[nSLUG] Re: Frame buffer console(s) won't go away

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Wed Jun 4 00:14:36 ADT 2014

Hi Jack --

You wrote:

> You don't need a "cute desktop environment". What you *do* need is a
> special window variously called a "panel" or a "taskbar", that
> includes a system tray capability. There are several lightweight
> versions of such.

I was only vaguely aware that such might be the case.

If I get to the point that something I can't do without demands a task
bar, I'll try for one of the standalone packages you so helpfully
listed (TYVM).

As it is, I run most X apps from ~/.xinitrc, from aliases or from
scripts so that invocations like:

  xterm -sb -fn -sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--24-230-75-75-c-120-iso8859-1 \
  -bg 'rgb:1/3/5' -ms SteelBlue -fg 'rgb:a/b/c' -cr SandyBrown -bd dimgrey \
  -bw 3 -geometry 80x30-1+1 "#+1+375" -iconic &

happens without my having to remember all the hentracks and puts the
icon just where I expect to see it. Don't *want* icons in some other
place under alien management. :-)

So I don't really want a superfluous X object cluttering up my screen
but "never say never", eh?  For the moment, I'm going with wicd-curses.

Thanks; your pointers carefully squirreled away in case of need,
- Mike

PS: I have another problem with Slack 14.1 and a USB wireless adapter.
    I'll make a separate post if I can't find a solution or,
    unhappily, confirm it as a stone wall.

                                                           /V\