[nSLUG] Frame buffer console(s) won't go away

Jack Warkentin jwark at bellaliant.net
Tue Jun 3 19:38:38 ADT 2014

Hi Mike

You don't need a "cute desktop environment". What you *do* need is a
special window variously called a "panel" or a "taskbar", that includes
a system tray capability. There are several lightweight versions of
such. In Debian, here are the names of a two packages that supply one.

Package: tint2

  Tint is a simple panel/taskbar intentionally made for openbox3, but
should also work with other window managers. The taskbar includes
transparency and color settings for the font, icons, border, and
background. It also supports multihead setups, customized mouse actions,
and a built-in clock. Tint was originally based on ttm code. Since then,
support has also been added for a battery monitor and system tray.

The goal is to keep a clean and unintrusive look with lightweight code
and compliance with freedesktop specification.

Homepage: http://code.google.com/p/tint2/

Package: perlpanel

  PerlPanel draws a small taskbar on your screen to display some useful
widgets like a programs menu, some shortcut icons, a system tray and so
on. It's similar to the Windows Taskbar, the GNOME Panel, and KDE's Kicker.

PerlPanel is completely independent of any particular environment. You
can use it with any window manager, without need for one of the big
desktop environments.

You can create your own applets to show and do whatever you need using
Perl and the Gtk2 bindings for it. It's no problem to run several
PerlPanels at the same time.

Homepage: http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/perlpanel/

There is even a standalone system tray application.

Package: trayer

trayer is a small program designed to provide systray functionality
present in GNOME/KDE desktop environments for window managers which
do not support that function. System tray is a place, where various
applications put their icons, so they are always visible presenting
status of applications and allowing user to control programs.

The code started out as an extraction from fbpanel.

Homepage: http://github.com/sargon/trayer-srg

Hope this helps.

Regards

Jack