[nSLUG] Looking for entry level Java Dev work

Daniel Enman microburn at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 14:26:45 ADT 2014

Hi Aaron,

I’m not sure what the others feel in the group, but I think messages like these are fine :). It’s just nice sometimes to have a technical community to reach out to (and sometimes these messages are much further off track than this one)!

The most important thing that I can suggest you do, is build up your samples and portfolio on GitHub (or BitBucket, or wherever). When I’m hiring, that’s the first thing I look for, since it gives me all types of insights about the developer in question. There are a few services that might be able to help you out in finding Freelance work, that might be able to help your portfolio (though likely not in releasing the source code, but in a “hey, I helped build this” way). Freelance Inbox (https://freelanceinbox.com) is a good starting place. They have Android freelance gigs on there too.

The second most important thing is to *just build*. Build things for the sake of building them. Use all types of different frameworks, all types of different libraries. Get a feel for the ecosystem you want to work in. Read code someone else has written, see how projects are constructed, find out best practices from them.

Thirdly, get some breadth to your experience — Java is great to know, but pick up some other languages to flesh out your skill set. I often find that in learning a new language, you often learn new skills that can be applied to languages you already know, or that they give you a new way of looking at the world.

And, of course, this being a Linux mailing list, make sure to know and understand your systems stuff. DevOps is a big thing these days, and there’s a ton of cross over between systems engineer and software engineers.

Thanks,
Dan