[nSLUG] Does this mean my hard drive is failing?

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 08:01:14 ADT 2014

Could be drive, cable, controller, or software.   When I see this sort of
thing I try to get a copy of the data ASAP, then run smartctl to see if
there are any hints.   Manual fsck may be needed to get at your data.  I
generally swap out drive and cable at the first hint of a problem, then
stuff the suspect drive in a spare box for testing to see if it can be
replaced under warranty.    Older drives just get replaced.  For a drive
under warranty I have been able to obtain an RMA on the basis of smartctl
reports, but it it best if you can run the vendor's own diagnostics (these
days you generally can get a CDROM image that boots FreeDOS to run
diagnostics).   If a drive is relatively new and passes all the diagnostics
I would reformat and use it a non-critical box.

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 10:19 PM, Gerald Ruderman <linux at zdoit.airpost.net>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Got these errors on a CentOS 6 box running software raid. Has been
> running for 12 months without faults. What do they mean? Or specifically
> should I replace the drive? Thanks

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia