[nSLUG] viewing ctv videos

Daniel AJ Sokolov daniel at falco.ca
Mon Jan 27 04:19:12 AST 2014

Ubuntu 12.04 here, with Firefox and Chromium, and Flash 11.2.202.335.
(The latest version for linux and solaris.)

CTV - no dice

CBC - Chromium: very spootty. I tried to watch an episode of "Four
Rooms". It did show advertisements, then nothing. I tried Marketplace -
this worked after some advertisements. So I went back to Four Rooms.
After some advertisements, the show started. I tried to hop forward
within the show and was treated to seemingly endless queue of
advertisements for "The National". Now I dislike them. Suddenly, the
show started somewhere towards the end. I tried to hop back to an
earlier part of the show, and was again berated with the same
advertisement for some cooking show/supermarket, over and over again,
before the show continued. I don't know if this is an public service to
make viewers go away and do their household chores, or if it is a bug.

Firefox: Asks me to install Flash. However, I changed the browser's user
agent to "iPhone 3.0", entered the mobile version of cbc.ca, and then I
could watch certain videos. Marketplaces works, but Four Rooms is not
even offered.

If then, keeping the faux user agents, I switch to the Desktop Version,
I can see Four Rooms being offered, but no video "mime type not
supported", it says for a fraction of a second.

The problem with the mobile version of the website (also shows in
Chromium when I use Android 2.3 as user agent, but not Android Galaxy
Tab) is that the video is either tiny, or fullscreen - and the
resolution of the video is too low for fullscreen. Looks ugly.

FYI
Daniel AJ