[nSLUG] uefi and gpt

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 18:43:54 AST 2014

I've learned (from sad experience) to be very careful with bundled
utilities as they are often outdated.   The NTI website lists system
requirements for Echo as Win7, Vista, or XP.

A useful UEFI resource is Rod Smith's rodsbooks.com:

"In late 2012, Secure Boot is a modest-to-major hassle for Linux users.
Although it has the potential to improve security, Linux has historically
not been plagued by viruses, so it's unclear that Secure Boot will be a
benefit for Linux-only computers. If you dual-boot with Windows, though,
you may want to keep Secure Boot enabled. In the medium and long term,
using the Fedora shim program looks like the best way to do this; but as of
early January 2013, the rarity of pre-signed follow-on binaries makes shim
awkward to install and use. In the meantime, disabling Secure Boot is the
easiest way to deal with it. Signing your own boot loaders to use the
native Secure Boot mechanism and your own key set is another alternative,
and one that provides you with the greatest security and flexibility; but
this approach is the hardest one to implement.

In other words: It's a mess right now, but Linux developers are working to
clean it up."
http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/index.html, with
http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/secureboot.html  and
http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/.  rEFInd is Rod's fork of rEFIt which I've
been using to boot RH linux on Apple's (EFI) systems.
Fedora does have support for Apple EFI -- I don't know how well current
versions deal with Windows 8.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia