[nSLUG] perl and web sites

Oliver Doepner odoepner at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 23:10:32 AST 2014

Robin, i agree that for some tasks like text processing, file processing
perl can be much more convenient than java.

java 7 reduced the try-catch pain (added "try-with-resources" feature) and
brought a vastly improved file io api ("NIO.2"). but for experienced perl
coders it will probably still feel very clunky.

i usually have to work on bigger "enterprise" systems, often with a web
frontend and large teams of developer where a type-safe managed language
like Java and its heavy-duty JEE stuff is a more natural fit.

I use Java OOP in a very functional way and try to keep state encapsulated
and ideally immutable. I use interfaces a lot, and class inheritance only
if I have to. I tend to avoid method overriding, protected fields, super
calls and all that sticky class heirarchy glue like the plague. "Favor
composition over inheritance" as Erich Gamma used to say .. :o)

But be it many small objects or many small functions, I think it's better
to have many well-focused loosely coupled small components than long
procedural code blocks.

Cheers
Oliver

--