[nSLUG] perl and web sites

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Fri Feb 28 12:59:17 AST 2014

On 27/02/14 11:29 AM, Robin Murray wrote:
> Also, I was wondering how many perl vs ruby programmers are on this list
> or people generally know. Is rails really more popular than perl now? It
> is hard to find good perl programmers in Halifax, but are ruby
> programmers correspondingly falling out of the woodwork there?

I'm a rubyist writing a lot of ruby code, some of it rails at work. I
also have prior experience in perl, though much of that has fallen into
disuse since we started writing new things in ruby.

I can't say anything about relative popularity in Halifax, neither
having sought a job in it, nor having looked to hire anyone in the
period since I started using it. I can only say I've found my experience
using ruby overall positive, and I believe the quality of our code
written in it has gone up since we moved away from our hodgepodge of
code written in perl. But that may have at least as much to do with
other factors (learning more modern coding methodologies; at least
paying lip service to "agile" practices ;) during the same period of
time as the language choice.

As for specifically my experience with rails, it has fairly drawn some
criticism for attracting fanboys who equate ruby with rails, and are
heavily dependent on using that framework to get anything done. I would
avoid hiring anyone like that.

I'm not convinced that rails is all that and a slice of bread. I am
intrigued by lighter frameworks like sinatra, and wonder if it were
possible to turn back the clock if we would have chosen something like
that instead. I'm finding particularly over time, we do things less and
less the "rails way" (for reasons I can't really get into here). Sure, a
framework can make deploying new code rather speedy, but over time, it
can start to accumulate baggage that limits your future choices.

Ben