[nSLUG] Re programming language choice

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Fri Feb 28 12:48:44 AST 2014

On 28/02/14 12:32 PM, Jim Haliburton wrote:
> If the "newbie" was hired for his skill in the particular language that they knew, then
> management should listen to their views.  If it was for a generic skill set management has to
> consider if the new outsider is going to try and change the company to his way of doing things.

As for the rest of your wisdom learned through experience, I can't
disagree. However, so far as it is possible, management should strive to
hire polyglots instead, who tend to be smarter anyway. Then decide which
language to use based on longer term factors than who you happen to have
on your staff at this point in time. Surely that will change over time ...

Ben