[nSLUG] perl and web sites

Robin Murray nibor.yarrum at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 00:45:05 AST 2014

I certainly had heard of jruby but had quite forgotten about it. It seems
like a bizarre solution to the ruby performance problem but I guess when
you boil it down it's not unlike .net.

I've been doing a fair amount of java dev on eclipse for an android app, as
well as perl for the web site. Going back and forth over the months has
given me a pretty good perspective on both of them. Like all decisions
around what language or framework to use, there are pros and cons to each,
there is no 'one size fits all', and anyone that tries to insist on that is
just inviting a language flame war, something I grew weary of, and stopped
engaging in, back in the 90s.

I really VERY much appreciate the refactoring tool that eclipse gives me, I
use it all the time and I must say even today I usually smile when I use
it. What a hell of a production booster! However, overall, I find that java
tries so hard to keep you out of your own way that it's more often than not
a battle with the language to get things done quickly, contrasted with
perl's incredibly easy attitude - it's perfectly happy to let you shoot
yourself in your own foot if you want to do so. Autovivification and
data::dumper(::concise!) are incredible production boosters for perl, which
rivals eclipse's refactoring tool. I can create many levels of nested
hashes/arrays in just a few lines of perl code, and can see how it's
structured at a glance. Java is an exercise in frustration trying to
accomplish the same thing, due to the stringent type checking requirements.

I would also submit that oop can be taken to extremes, replacing 10,000
functional calls with 10,000 objects in a complex hierarchy that you need a
gps to navigate through. The java libraries can be very daunting to someone
new. Simply doing stream i/o can drive you nuts in java what with all the
try/catch/finally/try/catch and this stream attaching to that stream, when
all I want to do is read a damn file. I guess apache commons has some good
ways around this, but last time I looked it wasn't available on android.

Overall, I enjoy programming in both languages, but really, I always feel
relief when I get back to perl, I feel more liberated and know that I will
get some real progress without worrying too much about the language itself.
It takes a while to get to that point, but when you do you can crank out
lots of reliable code. Params;:validate helps to somewhat mitigate the lack
of static typing, its more work to implement but becomes automatic once
you've used it enough.

Anyway, my $.02, thanks for everyone's thoughts thus far.

--
Robin Murray
Hatchet Lake,