[nSLUG] perl and web sites

Oliver Doepner odoepner at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 23:54:50 AST 2014

I have developed Rails apps and deployed them to Apache Tomcat Java web
container.
The Ruby implementation was JRuby.
This was for a large Canadian oil&gas corporation who uses this as their
default framework for in-house web applications.

The performance of JRuby is quite good and benefits from all the JVM
performance goodies like JIT compilation and automatic runtime
optimizations.
There are also dedicated JRuby/Rails containers that are more optimized
than Tomcat. See links [1] [2] below.

However, I would recommend neither Ruby/Rails nor Perl for anything that
goes beyond a simple CRUD webapp.

I am a big fan of statically-typed languages that allow powerful and
reliable tooling, i.e. an IDE with advanced refactoring support, etc.
I usually use IntelliJ Community Edition and program in pure Java.

For Java webapps, Eclipse or Netbeans are decent IDEs. There are plenty of
Java web frameworks available. I would probably go with GWT when its
client-side heavy and JSF 2.x / PrimeFaces when it's more of a server-side
application. JPA is the standard Java API for accessing database objects,
CDI is used for wiring it all up.

So to me the Perl vs Ruby question is like a wooden bicycle vs plastic
bicycle choice when you actually need a metal frame. :o)
No offense.

Cheers
Oliver

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10252293/jruby-performance
[2]
http://rockyj.in/2012/09/09/rails_on_ruby_jruby_a_performance_comparison.html

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 2:56 PM, George N. White III <gnwiii at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 11:29 AM, Robin Murray <nibor.yarrum at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I have a web site written in perl/template toolkit with a custom designed
>> MVC framework (no dancer/catalyst/mojo). This was a design choice at the
>> outset by a partner.
>> [...]
>>
> But I'm talking through my hat. I don't have experience with rails. Has
>> anyone here worked with both perl and rails web sites, and can add some
>> perspective? I'm just looking for points to consider so I can be a bit more
>> informed.
>>

> See <http://www.infoq.com/news/2012/10/Ruby-on-Rails-Node-js-LinkedIn>
> for some links to views on
> ruby performance issues.   I gather that internationalization was a big
> issue for choosing platforms, and
> also a big resource sink (both for development and runtime overhead,
> memory leaks, etc.) and that
> rapid growth resulted in compromises to server interconnects, etc.  (We
> should all have such
> problems!).
>
>  Also, I was wondering how many perl vs ruby programmers are on this list
>> or people generally know. Is rails really more popular than perl now? It is
>> hard to find good perl programmers in Halifax, but are ruby programmers
>> correspondingly falling out of the woodwork there?
>>
>> Thanks for any thoughts.
>>

> Sometimes is better to train programmers in house -- good ones can pick up
> a new language very quickly.
>
> --
> George N. White III <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca>
> Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia