[nSLUG] perl and web sites

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 14:56:57 AST 2014

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 11:29 AM, Robin Murray <nibor.yarrum at gmail.com>wrote:

> I have a web site written in perl/template toolkit with a custom designed
> MVC framework (no dancer/catalyst/mojo). This was a design choice at the
> outset by a partner.
> [...]
But I'm talking through my hat. I don't have experience with rails. Has
> anyone here worked with both perl and rails web sites, and can add some
> perspective? I'm just looking for points to consider so I can be a bit more
> informed.

See <http://www.infoq.com/news/2012/10/Ruby-on-Rails-Node-js-LinkedIn> for
some links to views on
ruby performance issues.   I gather that internationalization was a big
issue for choosing platforms, and
also a big resource sink (both for development and runtime overhead,
memory leaks, etc.) and that
rapid growth resulted in compromises to server interconnects, etc.  (We
should all have such
problems!).

 Also, I was wondering how many perl vs ruby programmers are on this list
> or people generally know. Is rails really more popular than perl now? It is
> hard to find good perl programmers in Halifax, but are ruby programmers
> correspondingly falling out of the woodwork there?
>
> Thanks for any thoughts.

Sometimes is better to train programmers in house -- good ones can pick up
a new language very quickly.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia