[nSLUG] Security on dialup

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 10:07:05 AST 2014

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 4:01 AM, Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca> wrote:

> I also run a script in the background that checks several critical
> system files every few minutes and plays a loud audible alarm if one
> of them changes.  It goes off every afternoon when cron does log rotate.

This is getting off topic, but I like this concept.  The first thought
I had was fog horn, and given your blacksmithing skills, I was
drawn towards a steam punk image of how system administration
could be done.

I've noticed these days the trends of everyone carrying these mobile
devices with 99 cent apps.  Also many IT services have been canned
and made into commodities, sometimes in cloud, sometimes outsourced.
Other changes include better redundancy of components, fail over
systems, snapshots of VMs, ITIL, etc.  IT has become a very quite
thing that no one is aware of when it seemingly works with little
intervention and mayhem.  It would be nice if there were some
whistles and steam eruptions when things like log rotation happen.
Something where everyone in town notices the time of day
by this cycle of production.