[nSLUG] Re: rsh(1) as root

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Wed Feb 26 02:56:42 AST 2014

John Weintraub <johnweintraub at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wouldn't SSH be safer? Not that that solves anything, but telnet lacks
> for security, even in a LAN setting.

If I had an always-on high speed internet connection, there are
several things I'd have to change, I guess.  As it is, one box is
episodically on the net by dial-up. A router connects me to 4 other
computers and a printer, variously by cable or wireless.  I'm so far
out in the boonies that anybody dinking on my wireless would be
noticable and subject to um... analog countermeasures. I can't think
of a reason why telnet is bad in that context.

In any case, I'd still have to copy and paste the date from one window
to another to do date -s.  rsh by root would be more elegant.

- Mike

                                                           /V\