[nSLUG] rsh(1) as root

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Wed Feb 26 02:35:42 AST 2014

Working on host grody as root, I would like to do:

grody-root% date -s `rsh nudel date`

to set the date on grody to match that on nudel.

But I get "Permission denied", presumably because of a prohibition
against remote logins by root.  It works for non-root:

grody-user% rsh nudel date
            Wed Feb 26 01:26:37 AST 2014

The things I've tried are too numerous and tedious to recount here in
detail (although I could, if this were a really iteresting topic. :-)

Is there a simple way to enable rsh(1) by root from a remote host?

Yes, I know this is in general a Bad Thing and I would disable it
after using.  I just need it occasionally. As it is, I telnet to nudel
from grody, execute date(1), then cut and paste from a user xterm to
one owned by root.  Works, loses a few seconds, inelegant, y'know?

- Mike

                                                           /V\