[nSLUG] Hard drive or power supply?

Dave Flogeras dflogeras2 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 10:08:16 AST 2014

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 9:04 AM, Joel Maxuel <j.maxuel at gmail.com> wrote:

> Am I missing anything?  ideas?

At the risk of being broken-record-y, I stand behind my previous
suggestion of using LVM.  Even on a single disk it really adds some
flexibility.  It makes it easier to take your best-guess when
partitioning and the specifics of things like "how big should I make
my /usr partition" turn into "how big should I make my /usr partition
to start".  In some cases, (ext4 supports this) you can even grow your
LV and filesystem while it is mounted - no more running out of space
on a partition.

It's really not very complex to learn (you have a week to play, right? :)

Check your distro's documentation on how to install with LVM (I'm
pretty sure all major distros handle it right out of the box).

To familiarize yourself with the tools, I'd recommend playing around
with some scenarios on "fake" hard drives (just create a couple of
empty files and set them up as loop-back block devices to play around
with without risking anything).

ie something like:

# create a couple 10 gig files
dd if=/dev/zero of=/test.hdd1 ibs=1024 count=10M
dd if=/dev/zero of=/test.hdd2 ibs=1024 count=10M

# turn them into block devices
losetup -f /test.hdd1
losetup -f /test.hdd2
# Find out which /dev/loopX devices they are bound to
losetup -a

# let's pretend they were loop0 and loop1, create physical volumes
pvcreate /dev/loop0
pvcreate /dev/loop1

etc. etc.  now start following one of the many tutorials online and
play around with your new "disks".

And/or you could try it in a virtualbox/vmware/[your favourite
software] VM to go through the install experience as well.

HTH
dave