[nSLUG] Hard drive or power supply?

Joel Maxuel j.maxuel at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 09:04:20 AST 2014

Okay, I am going to assume one (the PSU) attempted to murder the other
(HDD) while trying to take it's own life and now both are on life support.
  Have put in an order to Mysterybyte for two replacement parts (500W
Coolermaster and WD Black 1TB - might as well upgrade a little).

What has been left unscathed through all of this is my lil' ol' Kingston
SSD (short of the cabling problem I was having a few months ago).

I am willing to blast my system and start with a fresh install.  When I
originally got my SSD, I set it up as a /usr and /opt mount point, knowing
at some point the drive should be used as the primary (aka root) partition.

Now is the time (or at least, a week from now)

This is how I am thinking of portioning things off:
SSD (whole partition ~60GB)... /
HDD (P1) 40gb...(formatted ext4 but) unallocated
HDD (P2) 10gb.../var
HDD (P3) 10gb.../tmp
HDD (P4) 6gb...swap (currently have 4GB RAM)
HDD (P5) remain..../home

P2 through P5 allows the SSD to not take the constant writes that would
prematurely kill it.  P1 allows for expansion to say, if I wanted to
separate out /opt.  Or maybe that is something I should do at the outset.

Still thinking of splitting / and /usr on the same SSD (say, 10GB and 50GB
respectively) but since I don't currently make /usr ro, I don;t see the
bother.

Am I missing anything?  ideas?

--
Cheers,