[nSLUG] Hard drive or power supply?

Douglas Guptill dguptill at accesswave.ca
Mon Dec 15 00:05:59 AST 2014

Hello Joel:

On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 11:17:34AM -0400, Joel Maxuel wrote:
> Another hardware question, be it having to do with a hard drive!
>
> Last week I was browsing on my PC, I opened a page, and my browser locked
> up, I had a heck of a time to kill iceweasel, to restart it, as it turned
> zombie.  I ended up logging out and logging back in.
>
> A day later I was still having troubles, so I threw into console mode, and
> I found (as I have a mining script running there) a bunch of DRDY statuses!
>
> Rebooted my PC, 0.5TB HDD wouldn't come up from the dead.  A few reboots
> later, a shutdown, replaced the SATA cable and tried a different power
> connector off the PSU, I was back in business, no more freezes or DRDY
> statuses.  I suspected it was a bad connector on my power supply.
>
> That was a week ago.  Today, fed up with iceweasel complaining that adobe
> was out of date I did an aptitude update && aptitude upgrade.  Halfway
> through the second portion I got another freeze.  My full transcript of the
> errors are below.
>
> I don't like the smartctl stats, but could the pre-fail values be due to
> the fact that the PSU was messing up for a day and a half (at least) before
> anything was done about it?  Which part is to blame at this point, or would
> it be both the PSU and HDD?

...<snip>...

> === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
> Model Family:     Seagate Barracuda 7200.12
> Device Model:     ST3500418AS
> Serial Number:    9VMTNDK4
> LU WWN Device Id: 5 000c50 02d3772ce
> Firmware Version: CC46
> User Capacity:    500,107,862,016 bytes [500 GB]

I have had very unhappy experiences with the Seagate Barracuda drives.
There is a stack of failed ones (their age at failure varies from many
months to a couple of years) in my office waiting to be crushed.

Douglas.
--
Bold character derived from stubborn patience and adversity.
==
Douglas Guptill      email: dguptill at accesswave.ca
18 Lynn Dr.
Dartmouth, N.S.