[nSLUG] Troubleshooting LCP & PAP on a Telus dialup NAS

Frank Geitzler frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca
Fri Dec 12 12:15:10 AST 2014

Mike, I hope I haven't fouled things up too much by avoiding repeating
the entire long message, when I just wanted to reference your assumption
in a single paragraph, which I have repeated:
On Fri, 2014-12-12 at 05:15 -0400, Mike Spencer wrote:

> A broadband provider will say, "We don't support Linux" at some point.
> Fine.  My wife's Win-XP box will be "supported" and I can probably
> figure out anything I need to figure out -- eventually, possibly with
> a long learning curve. But it's a bunch of extra new bother.

You have assumed that your provider will continue to "support" Win-XP.
That might not be a valid assumption, where Microsoft has discontinued
support for that release.  I had made a similar assumption, with regard
to Symantic anti-virus.  I continue to use an old Microsoft database
product, Visual Foxpro, for which Microsoft dropped support a number of
years ago.  My development package was several releases out of date, but
continued to do what I needed on Win-XP, and the .exe files it created
would work on Win-7.  The development package itself, however, would not
work on Win--7, so I continued to use Win-XP.  When time came to renew
my anti-virus from Symantic, I attempted to do so -only to be told that
I did not have the most up-to-date Internet-Explorer release, and
couldn't download that anti-virus update (part of the update Symantic
process was to delete my old anti-virus package first -which I did).  I
couldn't get the current Internet-Explorer because XP was no longer
supported, and I wouldn't want to do a download and installation of it
without active anti-virus anyway -Catch-22!  The upshot is that I no
longer use XP on the internet, and so don't transfer any more new
development using it.  I use Linux (Ubuntu) on the Internet.
You may be correct in assuming that your provider will continue to
support XP, or you may have assurances from your provider that they will
continue to do so.   Even so, you might want to consider having some
other backup solution in place.
Best of luck.
Frank