[nSLUG] Re: Troubleshooting LCP & PAP on a Telus dialup NAS

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Thu Dec 4 03:41:58 AST 2014

Followup to my own request for help with failed PAP/LCP setting up PPP
on dialup:

Ca.inter.net had a deal with Telus to provide the dialup NASs.  Telus
did arranged the phone numbers and all the details with telcos.  Their
NASs called the ca.inter.net RADIUS server for PAP authentication. And
Telus just turned it off, cancelled the deal.  Phone numbers are still
answered but the Telus NASs no longer talk to the ca.inter.net RADIUS
server.

So now I have a new problem. After much hassle, ca.inter.net has
provided a toll-free number that is answered by a NAS in Ontario
provided by fibernetics.ca.  It answers the phone, completes modem
hardware handshake and then fails to respond *at all* to LCP ConfReq
packets.  After 10 tries, my Linux pppd gives up, hangs up. Fail.

Support guys report, "It works for me" and think it's my phone line
quality.  The phone line works perfectly for my other ISP. I can see
the banner text from Fibernetics with no garbage characters, have
tried a phone line in a different 902 exchange (but also connected
through the Bridgewater central office).  Same problem.

So I'm still looking for help.

I think somebody whacked together a server package out of a box but
doesn't know what he's doing and has some detail, either in server
config or telco setup, wrong.

Ho hum.  Any help welcome.  Details available on request.

- Mike

                                                           /V\