[nSLUG] Ubuntu Hard Disk Encryption

Frank Geitzler frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca
Wed Dec 3 18:44:06 AST 2014

On Wed, 2014-12-03 at 16:16 -0400, Mike Spencer wrote:

> William Marchant <wmarchant at eastlink.ca> wrote:
>
> > The BIOS needed changing to permit the boot, but I found that it
> > could not be changed.  The message on the BIOS screen said that
> > drives noted in brackets could not be made bootable.  They were all
> > bracketed.  I assume the HD encryption system has set the BIOS so
> > that the DH cannot be violated by an unauthorised user.
>
> One of the reasons I use Linux is because *I* am the final authority
> on everything on the computer.  This sound nasty -- a irreversable
> "improved feature"? A "Sorry, I can't let you do that, Dave" for
> Linux?
>
> I have no suggestion but I'll be iterested to hear any forthcoming
> insights from others.
>

> - Mike

Bill, it may be early in the game to resort to this, but as a last
resort, perhaps a new install, deleting the erring drives, or
repartitioning or reformatting the entire disk drive may a way to solve
or bypass the problem.  If all else fails, someone might have a disk
drive you could beg, buy, borrow, or trade in exchange for your problem
drive.  That way, you could at least get your machine operational again.
Frank