[nSLUG] Ubuntu Hard Disk Encryption

William Marchant wmarchant at eastlink.ca
Wed Dec 3 09:15:21 AST 2014

Hi All,
When I installed ubuntu 14.04, several months ago, I enabled hard disk
encryption.  The computer is an old one, and there were some things I
didn't like about the way the LTS version worked, so I decided to update
to 14.10.
The install was stopped by a request to enable Microsoft TTFs.  This
window could not be closed, authorized or bypassed, and after several
hours of waiting for something to happen, I switched off the machine.
I downloaded a copy of 14.10 and burned it to a DVD on another computer,
and attempted to install from the DVD.
The BIOS needed changing to permit the boot, but I found that it
could  not be changed.  The message on the BIOS screen said that drives
noted in brackets could not be made bootable.  They were all
bracketed.  I assume the HD encryption system has set the BIOS so that
the DH cannot be violated by an unauthorised user.

When I try to restart the faulty machine, I am asked for my Disk
Encryption Password.  That part works, however, I then get a small blank
window asking me what I want to do.  There is a flashing cursor,  but it
goes away with any action of the keyboard or mouse, and the computer
remains locked.

I have  backup of my home directory, so I am not stuck, but I am stuck
trying to recover the usefulness of the old computer.  Does anyone have
a suggestion, or better still, a solution?
Bill