[nSLUG] Need to watch Telnet session

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 14:49:34 ADT 2014

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 2:13 PM, Paul Russell <prussellster at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm looking for a (gasp) Windows or an Ubuntu solution for a bit of a
> communication problem that I've got.
>
> I'm working with a company that is developing a custom hardware device
> that connects to an IP at port 3100. This is currently in the middle of
> development, and I have no idea if it is actually connecting or not.
>
> My role is to write a server to process the data that it sends.
>
> At this point I need to ensure that it's sending data at all.
>
> I figured that some sort of terminal emulation server would work, where I
> could see the data that was coming in, live, and then type in some response
> data and have that sent back to the device. Unfortunately I haven't found
> anything that will do that, and I'm not confident enough in the PHP program
> that I've written to take care of this.

Sound like you want a simple "custom hardware device" emulator that can be
used to test your PHP program.

> Do you know of a program, that runs in either Windows or Ubuntu (I don't
> have any other distros set up), that will let me do this?

As others have mentioned, a packet sniffer will be useful to see if the
device is sending packets, and also helpful later for debugging when things
are close to working.  You might find the book "Foundations of Python
Network Programming"
by B. Rhodes and J. Goerzen useful.  They have examples of simple client
and server programs that you could use as the basis of a test framework.

> Any help is appreciated
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul
>
> --
> Paul Russell
> Chair, Sackville Patriot Days Parade
> President, Sackville Cobequid PC Association
> ZipSure.ca - Insurance In A Click
> (902) 830-5043

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia