[nSLUG] Sendmail

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Fri Aug 8 02:35:29 ADT 2014

Is there a way to configure sendmail(8) so that it will do SMTP AUTH
with a smarthost to which it hands off mail?

In my present setup, my email client hands messages to sendmail on
localhost.  Sendmail is configured (with mailertable) to use my ISP's
SMTP server as smarthost.  Works fine from home.

Now I want to go on the road with a laptop, working from J. Random
Wi-fi location. I would like to configure sendmail (on the laptop
only) to connect to the same smarthost on a port other than 25, then
authenticate itself to the ISP's server.

I have the O'Reilly batbook, all 1100 pages of it, but it's 10 years
old and two sendmail releases out of date (8.12 vs. 8.14).  I'm
working my way through other documentation but I thought if someone
knew the answer right off the bat (!) it would be quicker and very
nice.

I'm bordering on clueless here, despite RingTFM till my head swims but
that might help me understand any answers forthcoming.

Anybody?

- Mike

                                                           /V\