[nSLUG] Linux nat router and finding the bandwidth hog

Chris R. Thompson chris.thompson at solutioninc.com
Tue Apr 22 15:07:03 ADT 2014

Hello All,

for starters, I specify the interface I want to watch by doing iftop -I ethX
you can get an actual proper graph within by doing shift-l which makes it a bit nicer.
the usage is such that the top offenders are at the top
filter them out by doing 'L' and pasting the ip address of said abuser

I'm not sure what type of traffic it is you are looking for, but if it's torrenting traffic you can go one step further as the user will have multiples of streams open,

view them by (from in iftop) doing 't' in there

If this is the case you may want to impliment something like hash limiting in your packet filter to limit the total number of connections per minute allowed.

as well it's important to state that tc is still helpful in this matter for control

as well iperf would allow you to properly configure your bandwidth by testing the actual throughput of the system so you can properly gage what is appropriate vs inappropriate as far as traffic and load alike.

your conntrack tables would also become pretty well loaded if someone is abusing by torrent..

Best of Luck.