[nSLUG] Re: Nasty zero day vulnerability in openssl CVE-2014-0160

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Fri Apr 11 16:56:28 ADT 2014

Sending via his  Samsung Galaxy III, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone,

"Chris R. Thompson" <chris.thompson at solutioninc.com> wrote:

> U28geW91ciBzb2Z0d2FyZXMgb2xkIGFuZCB5b3UgZG9udCBwYXkgYnkgZGViaXQ/

Well, my software varies from fairly recent to oldish [1].  And I
don't pay anything by debit.  Is there a connection between the two?

I'm aware that geezers my age are suspected of generically rejecting
anything, technology in particular, not popularized before their 25th
birthdays and of being paranoid about everything.  The alacrity with
which I adopted both Emacs and email serves a single exculpating data
point.  I could argue at length the case that we are too accepting of
new tech that benefits others to our cost and that we are not paranoid
enough for our own good.  This is not the place.  I should write a
paper....  :-)

- Mike

[1] Oldish enough that I have to go out of my way to unpack base64
    encoded email that could just was well have been ASCII.

                                                           /V\