[nSLUG] Bell Aliant FibreOP and Linux router

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 21:05:28 ADT 2013

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 7:37 PM, Daniel AJ Sokolov <daniel at falco.ca> wrote:

> On 15.10.2013 17:18, D G Teed wrote:
>

>> For support, my standard approach is to pretend I'm on Windows
>>

> This is not helpful if the problem is on the ISP side. My experience with
> Bell Aliant is very bad. Even their second level had no idea how the
> internet works. They said that there was noone else to talk to.
>
> I tried to explain to them that one of their two transatlantic-providers
> had a problem in Frankfurt, all traffic died there, which rendered half of
> Europe unavailable.
>
> Their response was: "We don't have customers in Frankfurt."

I would not contact residential Internet support about that type of issue.
It can only be handled by the NOC, if one can find their contact info.
Chances are, another ISP, or automated monitoring applications
used at NOCs, could report the issue.

> I asked to speak to someone who is charge of their Border Gateway
> protocols, and was told that they don't use that.
>
> Bell Aliant is not a reliable ISP.
>
> Ah, I've also had billing issues, and the advertised bandwith was not
> delivered. The actual bandwith was a joke.
>
> BR
> Daniel AJ

Was it enough for you to switch?  If so, was there someone at Eastlink
available
to talk about BGP?  It doesn't sound like you are talking about residential
service.

Sometimes these types of brand wars happen from a certain experience
but it isn't possible to generalize to the extent everyone should stay away.
It sounds like there are people happy with FibreOp.  I know both
companies are not perfect, but I'm looking for a least cost and
workable option which will not bottle neck not cap my Internet.

Thanks for the responses, everyone...

--Donald