[nSLUG] Bell Aliant FibreOP and Linux router

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Tue Oct 15 14:05:36 ADT 2013

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 11:18 AM, D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com> wrote:

> For support, my standard approach is to pretend I'm on Windows when dealing
> with phone support, and translate the things as I go.

This strategy has worked for me. Remember that first line tech support is
reading from a script that they cannot deviate from. The system will not
allow the support person to proceed without following the steps. They can't
even hand you off to second line support unless they follow the script.
They know it is dumb. Just play the game, pretend that you are on windows,
and your problem will be solved faster.

> For physical service,
> I hook up one desktop with Windows to the router and then change the setup
> after they leave.

I can only think of one time when a tech needed to see a computer connected
to the modem (bypassing the router). I claimed that I was re-installing my
windows machine. IIRC he used a laptop he grabbed from his van.

--
sg