[nSLUG] Bell Aliant FibreOP and Linux router

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 12:18:56 ADT 2013

On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 9:00 AM, Daniel AJ Sokolov @mobile
<daniel at falco.ca>wrote:

> why don't you downgrade to the 20 mbit/s? it has now GB limit. and it is
> cheaper.
> Daniel AJ
>
> I have been happy with Eastlink overall, but the parameters don't fit my
family's needs.

20 Mbit downgrade was suggested by Eastlink rep, but we were there before.
The bottle neck for 20 Mbit service is the 1 Mbit upload, which is often
filled when multiple gamers, skype, etc. are online.  The kids' complaints
about "lag" went away when moving from 20 to 40 service.

The only way to get into a good fit with Eastlink is to include TV, which
removes the caps if it is bundled.  That costs too much and we don't watch
TV, or at least we don't watch any TV the traditional way with channels,
simulation of on-demand with a PVR, etc..

For support, my standard approach is to pretend I'm on Windows when dealing
with phone support, and translate the things as I go.  For physical service,
I hook up one desktop with Windows to the router and then change the setup
after they leave.  I don't do the zealot thing and push for acceptance and
OS diversity.  I figure it is like knowing two languages.  If I have that
capacity
why should I push the unilingual person to speak a language where they
can barely function?