[nSLUG] Bell Aliant FibreOP and Linux router

Jack Warkentin jwark at bellaliant.net
Sat Oct 12 16:32:50 ADT 2013

Hi Everybody

I have been using Bell Aliant's FibreOP for 2 1/2 years now. I have had
no problems accessing the web interface to their Optical Network
Terminal using Iceape on my Debian GNU/Linux system. I have successfully
set up a hidden SSID, MAC address filtering, and WPA2 security. It's
true that Bell Aliant's support will not help with doing those things,
and I could find no documentation on the device over the Internet, but
the interface is very intuitive and easy to use.

I switched from Eastlink to Bell Aliant because of Eastlink's constant
price increases. I will switch back to Eastlink when either I get an
extremely good incentive, or they will guarantee no price increases for
5 years.

Regards

Jack

Johann Tienhaara wrote:

> As mentioned, the Bell Aliant router is more or less mandatory, even though it's
 > junk. The web administation interface doesn't even work with >
FireFox/IceWeasel. Use it as a front end to get an IP address, > and
then put a real router/firewall -- maybe even a Linux